Wednesday 4 August 2010

HERE'S LOOKING AT YOU KID

There is this bottle of Barolo which has been staring at me for sometime. It's here, in my office, and the excuse for keeping it there is that, at the moment, it's too hot to drink it. It's not superlative as Barolo goes, it's made by Terredavino (which in Italy is a supermarket brand) but here in England is considered quite OK. ANd it's a 1999, Paesi Tuoi, so can't be that bad! I am thinking of home, of my cellar where my late father stored his prized wines so lovingly for so many years. I am thinking of the unlabelled bottles of Barolo, Dolcetto, Barbera, Nebbiolo, beautifully lined up like soldiers, with just 'Barolo, 1966' written on it. I also remember opening a bottle once, which must have been 1959 if not older, and putting it on the sink in disgust as it smelt like pure vinegar. I forgot about that bottle, until the morning after I went in the kitchen and thought that angels were having breakfast. The most amazing aroma pervaded the place, it was like being in the middle of a violet field. That wine took 12 hours or more to open up, and no, I did not drink it for breakfast, (although I did have a quick slurp, for tasting purposes of course), and corked it. Later on that morning I decanted it because there was a lot of sediment, and although it was starting to fade, I thought I died and gone to heaven. I can still smell and taste that wine. For those of you who want to me 'friends', I still have a bottle of that wine, as well as that looking at me in the office.....

No comments:

Post a Comment